Monday, July 18, 2011

Help with first foster dog?

I'm currently fostering a 6-9month-old shepherd mix for a little over two weeks now. Her biggest issue is that she cries every night when I put her in the crate. Everyone ignores her while she's crying, but during the day I've been training her to have a positive association with the crate with treats. Hasn't worked. I gave her a frozen-peanut butter-stuffed kong to keep busy. Didn't work. I gave her a raw meaty bone, still cried. I put toys in there also, but that's another issue. I bought an assortment of different toys (Nylabone, treat ball, sqeauky toys, etc) and she doesn't wanna play with any of them. I don't think she "gets" them. I demonstrated in front of her with my dog what she's suppose to do with them, but she still hasn't wanted to play. She also chews things up & I've been trying to re-direct her chewing to the toys, but she just stares at the toy like "what's that for?" Anyone have any pearls of wisdom? Training advice? Anything to offer in help

No comments:

Post a Comment